Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Reaction to Donaghy's interview with ESPN/60 minutes

Back in the news again is referee Tim Donaghy who was accused of changing the outcomes of basketball games by changing the way he refereed. My initial reaction was really no surprise that this could happen in the NBA. There have always been allegations that certain playoff series were fixed because the NBA wanted big market teams that would draw huge television ratings. Donaghy told ESPN that certain player like Chauncy Billups and Rasheed Wallace were not liked by NBA officials and therefore would have certain rules for players they didn't like. If that meant calling more fouls or putting them on a short leash so be it. What really worried me is when Donaghy said that he was not the only one who was doing this. He did not mention many names, but he said some very respected referees were apart of this. I pretty much believed what he had to say at the moment because it didn't make any sense that only one NBA official would be involved in the scam. Then I talked to my father a little bit about the issue and he brought up a pretty good point. How do we really know if he is telling the truth or not? I mean he could be trying to stir things back up again with the NBA and he initially lied about the allegations brought on him. Still it does make you wonder whether sports have lost all their integrity as far as officials not being influence by outside gambling. The NBA did make a statement following the interview going saying that they still believed it was an isolated incident and no further investigation would take place. David Stern is probably one of the best Presidents of any sports league and I think he has taken care of the issues, so this will never happen again.

1 comment:

  1. Since I did not see this interview, I can only comment on what I have heard from others. Thanks for sharing your observations about it. On one hand, even if he is lying, he has put that doubt out there, and by mentioning names, that is sure to raise questions in those players' minds. On the other hand, if he is lying, then there should be grounds for a lawsuit. It will be interesting to see what the fall-out of this interview turns out to be.

    ReplyDelete