Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Artest tells the world he used to drink at halftime

Recently Ron Artest has been on what the NBA considered good behavior. He had not gotten in any fights on or off the court and he had been helping out a lot in the community. He had called the guy up that he punched in Detroit and apologized to him. He also has been giving out free tickets to the Lakers games on his Twitter page. Then just when we started forgetting about Artest and his brawl in Detroit, he tells the media he used to drink during halftimes of NBA games. He said he would go down to the liquor store and grab a bottle of Henessey and drink it down. He later went on to say that it was a long long time ago but why even bring it up if no one even knew about the situation? Everyone was just starting to see him as a changed man and now he comes out and say this. I guess my only response is that we finally know the reason for all the outbursts and technicals. It was the effects of the alcohol that made him act the way he did. I just do not understand how a player can get away with doing something like this. Your telling me that not one single teammate or coach seen him sucking back on a bottle of liquor? Its just crazy to think that no one knew. As of now David Stern has not made any comments about it, but I think something should be done about this. Artest could have seriously hurt someone while playing intoxicated or buzzed. It made him more aggressive and careless while playing. If I was a player and i knew someone on the team was half drunk, I would be worried they might end up doing something stupid on the court. I don't blame Artest as much as I blame the organizations he was with while he drank. I thought this news answered a lot of questions of why Artest acted the way he did during games in his early years in the NBA. Hopefully he has stopped doing this like he said he has and we can all just move on from his comments.

2 comments:

  1. This is a curious admission to make and I cannot even speculate about why Artest would admit to this now. A lot of people wondered why Agassi admitted to using crystal meth, but he felt it was cleansing to be honest. The other thing I thought of when I read about this was what Suzanne Lenglen did on the changeovers of her tennis matches--she was known to sip brandy! Apparently Artest was not alone:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcus,

    I agree that it is very weird that Artest is coming out now about drinking during halftime at his own games! I also agree with Dr. Spencer’s comment that athletes such as Artest and Andre Agassi are doing this in order to cleanse themselves. I feel cleansing themselves of everything is the best way to start over in being a better person.

    ReplyDelete