Sunday, November 15, 2009

College Football Playoff

I know this is a huge topic of debate between any college football fan. Whether or not College football should incorporate a playoff system to determine the National Championship. I for one am in favor of this movement towards a playoff system. Over the last 5 years the debate has become an even more heated and teams from smaller conferences are getting better. You look at the top ten teams this year as of right now they go as follow:
1.Florida 6.Boise State
2.Alabama 7.Georgia Tech
3.Texas 8.LSU
4.TCU 9.Pittsburgh
5.Cincinnati 10.Ohio State

I agree with these ranking for the most part but what is not shown is their records. The top 6 have records of 10-0 and if they win their remaining games they will stay the same, that is with the exception of the SEC championship game which will make either Alabama or Florida with a loss assuming they take care of business on Saturday.Then we have 5 teams who will remain undefeated, and only two will have a shot at the title. Now the unwritten rule seems to be if you go undefeated in the regular season, you go to the title game. This will not be the case if it happens this year with those 5 respected teams.
I look at the past few National title games especially the ones in which the Buckeyes were in. They had no business being in the title game when they played LSU. This is coming from a die hard Buckeye fan too. The only reason we were in that game is because we won our last few games and some of the more deserving teams had a slip up at the end of the season. All the coaches seem to preach finishing the end of the season on a high note because if you lose early, you can always make your way back up to the top. Then when Oklahoma got beat by Boise State in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl who maybe should have deserved a shot at the National title game. The problem is there is too much money invested in the BCS Bowl games and when schools are receiving in excess of 8 million dollars for making it to the big game, I can see why they are content on the system.
Here is my idea of a playoff system. Take the top 8 teams in the BCS and set them up in a bracket playing on a neutral field and play out the bracket till you get to the big game. There will be a week between each game just like the regular season to give teams time to prepare. That will eliminate the 4-5 week period before the big game to watch more football. The teams will remain fresh and in shape instead of looking rusty when starting the game.

2 comments:

  1. I am one opposed of the playoff system, although it does sound like a great plan I believe it would take out the tradition that college football has to offer. I too am a huge Ohio State fan, growing up in the Columbus area attributes to that. I feel like each year the goal in the Big Ten is not to go to the national championship but to make it to the Rose bowl, creating the playoff system will take away from the thrill of winning the Big Ten. My grandfather has been to 5 Rose bowl games and every time he speaks of them it makes the sense of tradition even greater. I would love to go and be a part of this tradition when Ohio State goes again. I don’t want the NCAA to take the trill of the chase out of college football. I feel tradition is what makes college football so great, if they start changing things the excitement my go astray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to see a playoff system, although I doubt it will happen in the near future, because too much is still tied up in television contracts. Sadly, this season will end with as many as 3 or 4 undefeated teams not making it to the national championship game. That is unfortunate.

    ReplyDelete