Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Baseball Should Have a Salary Cap Period!

I used to be one of the biggest baseball fans around when I was little and even all the way up to my senior year of high school. My ultimate goal while growing up was to be a professional baseball player and to be apart of the MLB. Now my opinion has dramatically changed because of what baseball has become. Right now i could probably tell you who is going to be in the playoffs next year and which teams will win the respective wild card for each league. Teams like Boston, New York, and the Dodgers who have ridiculous salaries just make me sick. Last year the 3 top free agents signed with the New York Yankees and as a result they won the World Series. In any other sport i.e. Basketball, thats like saying Lebron James, Dwayne Wade, and Kobe Bryant will all sign with the Lakers next year. Wow what a team that would be, but because of a salary cap that will not happen unless the player would willing to take a pay cut or the owner would want to pay a huge luxury tax. So when the Yankees did win the World Series this year, was anyone really surprised? I know I wasn't. What has baseball done to even out the playing field for the low market teams? Well they make the high market teams pay a tax of some kind to the lower market teams to help them out. Most of the money goes to paying for other expenses and not for new free agents. The Yankees are exempt from this tax because they built their new stadium and they have a deal with the MLB. It makes me sick when teams like the Cleveland Indians have to trade their Cy young winner back to back years because they cannot afford to pay them the huge contract dollars they want. Plus they have to do by the all star break which means half of the season is still left and they are getting rid of all their good veteran talent. Then the Indians go and trade a player like Victor Martinez who loved playing in Cleveland because they were trying to shed salary. I am just fed up with baseball and will probably not pay much attention to it anymore until they figure out how to even the playing field.

3 comments:

  1. I could not agree with you more in your assessment of MLB's lack of a salary cap. I cannot fathom how the commissioner and others in power cannot see that it is bad for baseball to let the teams with money acquire all of the soon-to-be-free agents every year. There might as well be 4-6 teams (you could probably add the Mets, Cardinals, and Phillies to that list) that play at the top level, and let the rest of the mid- and/or small-market teams play in a league of our own. Basically, all of the latter teams are serving as a minor league anyway! I feel the same way that you do!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree that baseball players need a salary cap because some of these baseball player are getting paid incredible amounts of cash. They need to start out low and PROVE themselves before they get bonus signings and so forth. Who knows how they are going to perform in front of an audience. You can't just throw money around. Still some teams pay way to much to all their players and it is outrageous. I believe that police officers and firemen should be getting more money because they are saving life, not entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree Marcus. I also touched on this in my latest blog talking about the recent blockbuster trade involving Cliff Lee and Roy Halladay. I think that the MLB is becoming more and more uninteresting strictly because all the good teams get better while all the bad teams get worse. You can expect the pitcher who performed the best in a season to be traded to the Yankees, Red Sox, or Phillies every year. It is irritating to watch and I agree that the MLB needs a salary cap to even things out a little bit.

    ReplyDelete